Sunday nights are for Roller Derby.
Which means Monday mornings are for sore thighs and Voltaren cream.
It also means that Sunday night dinners need to be made by the hubby (he’s more than capable), or be quick and easy for me to prepare before or after . This past Sunday, I combined the two, and had hubby roast the chicken while I somewhat literally skated my butt off, then came home and whipped up this amazing and quick cauliflower rice dish from Primavera Kitchen.
Now, I used to think I wasn’t big on food trends, but my obsession with zoodles, and now realising how fabulous cauliflower rice is, I guess I can’t lay claim to that any more. I am head over heels in love with this recipe. And at 81 calories for a really generous serve, nobody will judge you if (when) you take it to a whole new level with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese.
Best of all, it keeps! I took it to work the next day, then forgot about it (entirely possible when you stash soup in your work freezer like I do), which made for a happy lunch surprise today (Tuesday). In summary, this is perfect Sunday meal prep fodder. Because on Sundays, we meal prep, right?!
The only significant change to the original recipe I made here was that I used beef stock because I forgot to buy the vegetable kind, and I am far too slack to always have a stash of homemade stock. So, it’s no longer vegetarian. But then, neither am I, so no worries there. Oh, and I used spray olive oil, because when you only eat 1200 calories, you don’t want to spend 50 of them on oil.
- 2-3 second spray olive oil.
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 300g mushrooms
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 1/2 cup good quality beef stock (I see no reason why you couldn’t use any flavour)
- 2tbs soy sauce
- 60g baby spinach
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp parsley
- Cut cauliflower into large florets and pulse in a food processor until it reaches a rice-like consistency.
- Heat oil in a large frypan on medium heat. Add onions and celery and cook for 4 minutes, until tender.
- Add ginger and garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add mushrooms and sauté for 5 minutes, until soft and juices are released.
- Stir in the cauliflower rice and sautee for one minute.
- Add the vegetable broth. Simmer for 5 minutes, for the cauliflower rice to absorb the vegetable broth and soften. Be sure not to let it get soggy.
- Mix in baby spinach and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add soy sauce and mix to combine.
- Season with parsley and salt and pepper to taste, .
Honey Soy Chicken
8 chicken drumsticks
1/4 cup soy sauce
1tbs sweet chilli sauce.
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Prepare and grease large baking dish. Add chicken.
- Combine all other ingredients in a jug. Pour over chicken, turning to coat.
- Place chicken in fridge for 1 hour for flavours to develop.
- Bake chicken, covered with foil, for 50 minutes- 1 hour, until cooked through and juice run clear.
- Serve with cauliflower rice.