I’m sure we all have that weeknight that we dread because we’re expected to be in 4 places at once, and behave like fully functional adults in the process. For me, that’s Thursdays (I never could get the hang of Thursdays…). It’s my afternoon meeting day at work, from which I rush to get Miss 7 to her sport training, from which I rush to get the kids to any one of three relatives’ homes (yep, I’m blessed) and then rush myself to roller derby training. I leave work at 4 and get home just after 9.
This recipe is made for days like these. Not only is it super quick if you can squeeze dinner into your afternoon, it is also amazing if you make it the day before, stick it in some Tupperware and offer it as a bribe for those kind enough to watch your offspring while you repeatedly push into people and fall to the ground (sometimes on purpose!) while wearing roller skates.
Now, neither carby spaghetti nor oily pesto are the poster children for weightloss and healthy eating, but there is no overemphasising how little that has stopped me from cooking this dish. I’ve eaten this at least once a month for the past 10 months, and lost the equivalent of both my children. For me (and I speak for me alone, your experiences are totally valid, too!), I refuse to cut out any one particular food group, or deprive myself, because that’s when I start to feel I’m losing control and missing out, so I concentrate on portion control and balancing it out with the rest of the day’s food choices. A serve will set you back 447 calories (with parmesan cheese, because cheese is life), but it will keep you going through a hectic training session and into the next morning. Besides, during Winter, it’s like a warm hug. Total comfort food, but very nutritious, too. Win win!
250 gram spaghetti (wholemeal works fantastically here)
2-3 second spray olive oil
500g chicken thigh fillet, cubed
2tsp minced garlic
200g mushrooms, sliced
190g pesto (store bought, definitely! This is a time-saving recipe!)
200g cherry tomatoes, halved
1 medium zucchini, diced
Parmesan cheese, to serve
Pepper, to serve
- Cook spaghetti in boiling water to packet instructions, until al dente. Drain pasta.
- Meanwhile, spray large fry pan with oil. Heat pan over medium heat, and add garlic, mushrooms and chicken. Stir, increase heat and cook for 4-5 minutes until mushrooms are golden and chicken has browned all over.
- Add pesto, cover pan and adjust heat to low. Swirl a tablespoon of water in the jar to loosen any pesto, and add to pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until chicken is mostly cooked through.
- Add tomatoes and zucchini pan, cover again, and cook for 3 minutes or until vegetables have softened.
- Add spaghetti and toss gently to combine. Serve into bowls and top with parmesan cheese and pepper.